Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Pride

Get this:

Yesterday, I sent an email to the Dept. Secretary after two students came looking for M. C. (the guy I share the office with who had 198 voice mails). They’re financial aid is at risk of being suspended if they can’t speak with "C" about their attendance in his class.

As Adjunct aren’t required to hold office hours, he apparently doesn’t. I suggested that the students contact him before class as that’s probably the best time to track him down.

My email to the secretary was a note of concern that I had nothing to tell the students and they could lose their Aid between now and the next class.

Well apparently he got an email or some email (I think he got a copy of the email I sent the secretary) and left me a voice mail.

He wants to discuss:

My email
The reason I sent the email
“Certain assumptions” I had made about his activity in the office.

It sounds like he’s cruising for a shouting match.

Ahh, Pride. One of my favorite sins.

-Tom

p.s. Here's the email I sent our Secretary.

Subject: M.C.
Hi,

Two students have come by the office looking for Mr. C; wanting him to email Financial Aid or something. I told them that I don’t believe he holds office hours, but wanted to check with you incase he did change his mind.

I advised the students to seek him out during their class and ask him whatever they needed; but I hate to see them lose their Financial Aid because no one can track down C.

-Tom

No comments: