Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Pride: Follow up

Ok,

So I am sitting in my office and working on some journal stuff and I see that I have a new email from M. C.

He had written a 590 word response to the Chair concerning the email I sent to the Dept. Secretary.

Some fragments:

"Over the past sixteen years that I have worked at SSU, it is my understanding that the adjunct's contract does not require the adjunct faculty member to maintain office hours. "

"Further, students have contacted me and continue to contact me before class, during a class break or after class regarding their class attendance and other matters. In the past and in the present, I have received and continue to receive calls from students at my home. It has always been and continues to be my intention to assist the students in any way I can. "

"I would have appreciated it, if Mr. Riley would have directed the e-mail to me as the issue related to one of my students. Had not Sandi forwarded the e-mail to me, I would not have known of Mr. Riley's e-mail. On Wednesday, April 18, I visited my faculty mailboxes and did not receive any written notices regarding any student matters."

He's not slamming me completely, but since I'm the one that raised the question about his unavailability - I'm the focus.

I emailed the chair to remind him that M.C. is the same guy who had 198 voice mails (over 4 years worth) from students trying to get a hold of him.

Heh. I have a feeling that this is going to be interesting.

-Tom

2 comments:

Judith/Finnseach said...

Does the voice-mail system at Shawnee allow a person to log into the system from off-campus to collect their voice-mails?

Brother Thomas said...

Yeap.

But he, apparently, never used the office phone - so he has no idea why all those students tried to contact him there.

There's no way a student would know that number unless he gave it to them on a Syllabus - In my opinion.

-Tom