Thursday, April 26, 2007

Design Sketch: Medieval Scribe's Desk

A lot of my sketches end up being some kind of design or blueprint; it's just how I think.

When I got into my monastic phase in the SCA, I started to think about all the things that a Monk would have. What would his artifacts be? It's a question I ask of myself when I'm trying to understand or create a character; it's the archaeologist in me.

Here you see a simple box-table where the legs and central strut could either fold up inside the box-like top of the table and therefore make it easy to transport in the back of someone's truck or car.

The lectern floating above is a simple, two-sided lectern with iron candle sconces on either side to provide light. The triquetra-like hole in the side was more for function than decoration as I could hide supplies in there as needed.

Needless to say, I don't have a full-time carpentry staff at my disposal to create half of the things that I think up. When I first started learning from Bryian I had a notebook of ideas that I had to churn through to understand half of the concepts he was explaining.

Some of those designs were nightmarish to behold. Ok, a lot of those designs were just frightening from a construction stand-point, but I think that I've gotten better with my concepts over the years.

No comments: