Monday, July 16, 2007

Something weird


Ok, so this is one for the books...

So here I was, today, working on the back bedroom. I cleared it out of all the furniture and the books off the shelves in preparation for having it painted. The process took most of the morning since I wasn't in any great hurry and it has been hot all day.

Finding a place to put all of the books on the shelves was difficult because most of my boxes are already full with other stuff so I had to go searching through the attic for a box or something. This basically meant that I took the books off by the shelf and not all at once. Had I removed them em mass I might have noticed the strange pattern of soot on the wall.

The soot came from an oil lamp that I used to burn beside my bed when it was in the far corner. For some reason one night, the oil burned sooty (which was odd since it normally doesn't) and I quickly put the flame out but the soot had gotten into the grain of the wall and would take some serious scrubbing to be removed. I didn't know, at the time, that the soot had crawled up and behind the first set of bookshelves - until today.

I didn't notice that there was a face there until I walked back into the room to grab one of the last things. I paused and snickered for a moment as I looked at it. I even remember muttering,

"Oh, great - I've got a spooky face. I wonder if I could sell it on Ebay?"

And then I looked at it more closely and grabbed a shot of it with my camera. When I upped the contrast (to the left), the image of the face became more apparent; vividly so.

I saw the nose and the eye as well as an open and what appears to be a fanged mouth with the line of the old shelf something like the line of the chest muscles of a male figure. The image wasn't exactly apparent with this copy so I then switched it over to a black and white and that's when it really pops off of the wall.

So the image of a "devil" appearing on my wall isn't what really got me thinking. What was interesting was that the face appeared on the wall behind the shelf where I kept my own journals.

A devil behind the book.

Interesting, yes?

-T

4 comments:

June said...

LOL! It doesn't surprise me that you have a face of a demon. What surprises me is that it's not tattooed on your body somewhere!

Sorry, just joking. It is kinda creepy to look at, especially in black and white. I could see a story in that....

Jax

D. Gilbert Trout said...

It's JEEBUS! Call the Inquirer! Call Fortean Times! Get a camera crew there stat!

Oh, and Tom? You need to get a small Mexican family, (complete with an elderly Matron,) to stand beside it and weep uncontrollably.

Don't charge admission to see it, because that would be "exploiting the miracle you'd been blessed with..." but set up a small snack bar and charge $2.00 for a bottle of tap water, ($4 if they want it blessed by the Soot Jeebus!

Barbara Fisher said...

It looks more like Odin to me than Jeebus, Dan. I only see one eye.

And he sort of looks like he is wearing a hat.

In that case, you don't need a Mexican family weeping uncontrollably, you need a bunch of Vikings singing drunkenly about spam or some such.

But I do agree--it is a miracle of some such or another. It definitely needs to be sent along to the Fortean Times.

Maybe it is a Sign.

That Ragnarok is nearly upon us....






nah.

It is probably just an image of Mr. Clean showing up to tell you to use one of his magic erasure thingies to get that soot of your wall because if you just try to paint over it, it will make a mess, dude.

Only you would get a miraculous image of Mr. Clean, Tom.

;-)

Love you, little brother, and I hope to see you soon!

Emeleth said...

That is wicked cool! And in that area you could charge admission to see a soot demon on the wall...You know they'd all want to see it and marvel at your dark and wizardly prowess for having trapped it there. *heh* Yeah, there really is a story in this...