Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Last Night's Cure for Insomnia


Ok, so last night I could not sleep. I was up until midnight just bee-bopping around the net doing this and that when I got bitten by the Bookbinding bug.

Correction, I got chomped on. There was tissue disruption and skin was missing from that little bugger.

I heard a voice in my head ask, "Can you make a soft-covered, double-fold journal that's a size one?" Yes, heard it. Not in the "I hear voices in my head" way but in the more divine sense of an angel or devil (or grigori) whispering to me like a muse.

The process was fairly simple since I already had the two, size 1 blanks ready for me on a shelf from who-knows when. With the last of my scored leather, I started the process as you would normally and scored a fold at the edge of the interior book's cover to create a natural hinge.


Once that was fairly well set, I added the second blank and pressed it under weight for the night. This morning, I added the elastic and pressed it again to fix the shape of the book.

I have no idea if this design is usable since not many of my clients (or fellow addicts) like using a size one (a quarter of the size of a normal sheet of paper) . I will have to try it out once I finish the books that I'm using now.

1 comment:

Tim said...

You know, that'd be a great 'Front Pocket' notebook. Maybe add a pencil loop for a little golf pencil and you'd be in bidness. Just my thought.