Sunday, July 15, 2007

Around 4-ish

There's a huge thunderstorm rolling in as I type. I'm sprawled out in the hammock listening to the storm boil in the sky. It was kinda muggy and dry this afternoon but when I started to hear the distant rumblings of rain my mood brightened. I like rain and love storms.

While the rain pecks its way through the leaves of the trees and plants to the semi-parched hill behind my house, I'm trying to work through some projects for the house. I'm wanting to reverse the two bedrooms and stick the office in the back and the bedroom in the front; unfortunately when they ran the new cable, they cut the old cables in the back bedroom so I'm going to have to call and see if they can come out and replace them. It makes no sense to move everything around if I can't get cable and the net in the back bedroom. It looks like all the things will fit in the back so that should be cool.

One of the ideas that I'm stewing on is that when I have one of the rooms empty, in the process of moving things around, why not go ahead and paint it? A gallon or two won't be that expensive and I could have it painted in a day or two (second coat and touch ups) and leave the stuff in the middle room until I'm ready to move things in. Then, when I have the middle room empty, move things from the second bedroom and paint it.

Sounds like a nice idea but now I'm playing with colors. I'm fairly well set on the idea of white trim for everything so I just need to come up with a paint scheme. I think I'm going to paint the bedroom some kind of blue. The problem with this is that I have one wall in the room that's covered with paneling. Ugh. My thought is that I could probably just cover that wall with cork to cover it and make it a more usable space. Do I leave the cork it's original color or try and sponge-paint it to match the walls or even a lighter shade? I know that I can get the cork at Lowes in large squares (I think 1x1) for not too much money.

So that's crawling around in my head. The other bedroom has the same problem with the paneled wall so if it works for one it might work for another.

The storm didn't get as impressive as I had hoped it might. The radar showed a huge red splotch of a storm heading for us and what we got was a less-impressive soaking. It's not a bad storm but it's not what I thought that I'd get.

As for the idea of flipping the two rooms, I can then close off the bedroom (once moved) completely since I would rarely be in there for anything.

Another plan that I'm considering is to remove the carpeting in the middle room of the house. The beige color has been made dingey with years of foot traffic and there doesn't seem to be any hope of rescuing it. I'm also wanting to remove it so that the front two rooms are all hardwood floors. If I'm going to refinish the front room's floors I might as well remove the carpeting in the middle so I can do both with one whack. Disposing of the carpeting will be a pain but I'm sure I can find some means of getting rid of it. Someone might want it for something. I know that I'll have to leave the carpeting in the hallway but that's ok.

More thunder. Maybe the storm hasn't blown itself out just yet.

No comments: