Monday, July 2, 2007

Lunch and a workout

A few minutes past noon...

So I went dow to campus to work out; felt good but also it reminded me of exactly how badly I'm out of shape. I've not been down there in two weeks and it shows. I'm up to 209. Ugh. I saw John down there, a guy who's also getting back into shape from a while out of it, and we caught up a little. The gym was packed with the Golden Bears, the elderly supporters of Shawnee State. Almost every machine had a man or woman over 70 on it and just panting to hold onto every breath. I'm surprised that they University lets them work out unsupervised for fear of one of them dropping dead on a tread mill.

After I cleaned up, I went over to my office to check my voice mail and university mail. I received a thank you from the Trio Center for helping keep a student from dropping out of classes last quarter.

Go Me!

There weren't many people hanging around so I decided to walk over to the University Center to grab something to drink. While walking over I saw Phil, one of my students from my winter psychology class who had to drop out in Spring to go build schools in Panama for the U.S. Army. It turns out that he also got shipped around to build some other stuff in Costa Rica and a few other places since he did such a good job with the first one. He's also being given a promotion to E-7 so he can hold some kind of management slot at Ft. Knox with their Engineers. I know that I'm butchering the actual information but that's the jist. I don't speak Army that well.

I finally started to head back to the house and Jim got a hold of me for lunch. He's going to be a little bit behind schedule so I grabbed my mobile to write up this blog and have something to do while they get here. The Market Street Cafe' is closed today so everyone has hit Toro Loco (a nice Mex restaurant). To say it's packed is a bit of an understatement.

This city needs a few more restaurants downtown; something to help take up the slack.

The campus seemed so empty today. There are only a handfull of students taking classes that it feels like a hollow shell of buildings. Phil, the student I spoke with, said that his Calculus class only has three in it though there were eighteen registered. I hope I don't have the same problem this fall. A three hour class, once a week, at night - I'm not exactly going to be packing them in.

Almost noon-thirty...

Jim called to say that he would be a little late getting down here. He's running home to grab Tuffy, I think

No comments: