Tuesday, May 1, 2007

May Day

Ahh, the first of May...

This time last year there were huge walk-outs and boycots by hispanics throughout the US to protest the resolution that was before the house to begin addressing the illegal immigrant population problem.

From CNN:

"Last year's May 1 boycott brought out more than a million protesters
across the nation. But later rallies failed to produce large turnouts, as
legislation stalled in Congress and bipartisan proposals for illegal immigrants
to gain citizenship have become more conservative."


The idea that an entire ethnicity has turned out to protest legal action taken against those who have broken the law is obviously a sign of the power behind the concept of Democracy. I am not fully versed in the details of their boycott or the nature of the legislation that will address (if at all possible) all of the illegal immigrants who now live within this country, but I can say that I am concerned at the nature of their protests.

In essence, the protesters have said to the US government, "We (or those whom we support) have broken your laws, but you will just have to accept it because there are too many of us."

I have no problem with immigrants living in this country. I'm an anthropologist - I enjoy diversity. However, I also believe that if there is a process by which one can live in the country legally - it should be followed by everyone.

More later. I have class.

-Tom

No comments: