Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Jerry Falwell is Dead

From CNN:

Falwell and the religious conservative leaders who followed are now a bulwark of the modern Republican Party and helped turn the once solidly Democratic South into the base of the GOP.

But he has found himself at the center of several controversies, such as the one sparked by his comments two days after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in which he seemed to blame "abortionists," gays, lesbians, the ACLU and People for American Way for causing the attacks, saying they "helped this happen."

A day later, he told CNN that he would "never blame any human being except the terrorists, and if I left that impression with gays or lesbians or anyone else, I apologize."

Someone better find the munchkins; they're on in 5.

(sing)
Ding...Dong...the....
(/sing)
-T

1 comment:

D. Gilbert Trout said...

You know. Heather called me at work yesterday, all excited. Jerry's dead! It's bizarre to think about, but the first place my wife went to college was Fallwell's "Liberty University."

She was only there for about 2 semesters, but we can't seem to shake them. They've managed to track us down and we get their monthly newsletter, (which makes excellent kindling, cat yak wiper, and whip target material,I assure you...) She tried to get them to cancel it, but they keep on sending it. She considered telling them, "Look, morons! I've converted to Islam, leave me the hell alone!" But we figure that would just cause them to redouble their efforts, and she's "Strayed from The Path..."

I think our poor mail delivery people must be confused as hell. Knife and whip catalogs to me, magazines and catalogs on Zen, magazines and catalogs on Islam, packages from Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Kuwait, and THEN Liberty's Newsletter...All we need is a subscription to "The Watchtower," (and don't even THINK it Bry!) and we'd be set!

Anyway, Heather called me all excited yesterday to tell me the news, and was like, "It's like I've finally got closure on this big section of my life that I've tried to escape from...

It was actually funny...and at the same time quite disturbing... ;-)