Monday, February 5, 2007

Real Winter

Morning

Well, it's in the single digits today as the post below will tell you. 1 degree when I got up. Ugh.

When I got on campus the wind was freezing the last bit of water left by the snow that melted yesterday. It seems as though everyone I know is sick with some kind of flu or bronchitis. Thankfully, I haven't caught anything too severe this season. Being away from human contact for the past year may have either helped me or will condemn me to a fate worse than death.

When I was talking to friends of mine about winter they had different views. One wanted one real good snow just so it's not ice and rain all the time. Everytime we have gotten hit here in Portsmouth, he's got nothing down in Huntington. Another friend talked about how when she lived in D.C. and how they have "real winters" up there. Real is opposed to the faint concept of winter we have around here these days.

When I thought about it a bit more, I thought about some of the information that I've read about the 'mini ice-age' and how there's a cycle of weather that seems to settle that kind of pre-historical weather on the Northern Hemisphere every six hundred years or so. I think that we're do again if I remember correctly, but I don't remember if they had an actual prediction for when it would come of if they're theorizing a ten-year period for when they think it might happen.

That would be a 'real winter', I think. Crops would freeze and fail, people would have to adapt their thinking to a whole new level of climatic survival.

11:40 a.m. I'm back in the Faculty Lounge. The lecture today was short and there weren't that many people in class. I'm guessing that they didn't feel like coming in today. The Army Reservist guy wasn't there today either. He was gone last Wednesday too so I'm wondering if he's pulled himself out for something or perhaps was recalled.

I've decided to switch my workouts to the afternoon. I like the extra time I have to get my act together in the morning and I don't have the urgency to rush to get it done and then run off to class. So, after Sociology, I'll be heading over to enjoy the heat of the sauna and the workout. I just hope that there's no swim meet this time.



Real Winter

These are the days when
the Wind has Teeth,
and the Cold is Hungry.

It remembers when it covered the world
and the sun was a memory.

No comments: