Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Quiz Day

10:45 a.m. Ok, so here I am sitting in my classroom burning in some time since the students who did show for the quiz have already taken it and left. I'm going to give any stragglers until 11 a.m. before I bug out.

Here's my problem: I have close to 18 students who have not emailed me prior to the test to let me know that they would not be here. Most of those who have, said that their roads were iced up and it was too dangerous to drive today. I can accept that as a permitted excuse for missing a quiz. Weather becomes a big issue on a campus where most students commute.

I don't want there to be an issue where the students said that they couldn't get to their email to send me a note because of their power being out or something like that. That too would be an acceptable excuse if there were wide-spread reports of downed power-lines but I haven't heard anything of the sort. I think that those 18 students didn't put forth the effort to protect their grade for this quiz.

I need to talk to my Chair about this since it's not just 2 or 3 like the last time. With each quiz being 1/4th of their overall grade, giving someone a Zero, not just an F, for a grade is harsh.

Ugh.

I just spoke to Sandi, our department secretary. That woman knows everything. I'm still going to talk to my Chair about this but she said that if the students don't follow established class procedures for absenses (emailing before hand) then they loose the points. I'm nervous about failing that many students.

Ok. It's now 11a.m. I'm tempted to go ahead and leave. However, the second that I do, I'll have a student who shows up (or says that she has) and claim that I wasn' t here for her to take the test.

I've made my one phone call to try and occupy my time. That didn't really work out so hot. The weather has hit Athens and shut down the public schools, but there is a chance that it will thaw out before this weekend. I'd rather drive in rain than in freezing, slushy, snowy, badness.

12:39 p.m. Back in the Faculty lounge. My Soc test is copied and prepped for the class and the cancellation emails keep pouring in. I think I've stopped in to the Success Center about four times today to drop off make-ups. I'm still up in the air about what to do about the 18+ students who didn't contact me prior to the test and didn't show. I got no assistance from the Chair at all. His favorite food must be waffles.

After conferring with a student friend of mine, from Marshall, I think that I'm not going to let the students make up the test (those who didn't email me at all). If I don't get some kind of email from them between now and the class on Monday, it's their fault. I've had people mail me through their friends and I believe even one of their parents. If it's really important to you, you'll find a way to get that email sent.

2:30 p.m. Only 5 students left to finish the Soc quiz and I can run down to grade them. It seems that the students finished a lot faster for this quiz than the last so I hope that means they understood the material better.

One of my students said that it's already started snowing again so the roads may get nasty this evening. I think I'm going out to dinner with a friend tonight. I'm going to try and finish Psych's lecture before Friday so that I can head up to Athens if I can work it out. I know that my mother wants the NEC that's waiting for her up there. She's even bought a memory card and a USB card (I believe) for it as well.

It's such a handy thing.

No comments: