Monday, February 12, 2007

Firsts


1:33 p.m. Well, today was a bunch of firsts. I changed my workout schedule to get back to mornings after I found out that Shawnee seems to be hosting swim meets almost every day for the area schools and all right after my class gets out at 4. So I have plenty of time to work out in the afternoon, but I end up having to wade through a bunch of high school kids who want to play around in the sauna. Not my idea of fun.

So then, while on the way to my morning psych class, I checked my mailbox and found that I had a message from one of my students. It's even addressed to PROFESSOR RILEY. Yeah, that gave me a warm & fuzzy.

And yes, I actually scanned it in. It's a big deal for me to finally be working in my field. :)

As class was wrapping up, one of my students, the Army Reservist, asked if I had any office hours before the quiz on Wendesday. He's been out lately because of getting pulled back in by the Army to run a project in Panama to build a school this April. He's excited about the command but getting things coordinated has kept him out for the past three classes. So I'm going to meet with him tomorrow morning in case he has any questions over the review questions.

Then, I went to speak with my chair after he sent me an email asking that I track him down. Apparently one of the students who is ADD and suffers from Bi-polar disorder and Turrets, complained that I was singleing him out because he told the class that he regularly abused marijuana. I didn't recognize the name of the student at first, and didn't really know who he was talking about until he mentioned the bit about marijuanna. Apparently the student is prone to making too much out of things and is quick to complain about professors. He, the Chair, just wanted to ask me about it so he could tell the University what my side of events were.

I only barely remember what he was talking about and what I told the student was that he shouldn't abuse drugs and that he's lucky that "I forgot my badge" that day. So the student felt persecuted or something and complained. This is weeks ago, mind, you. Sometime back in early January when we didn't have snow as far as I remember.

Well, after that, Gypsy called me to ask something about the SCA. It's not exactly a first but it's the first time he's called me this year and that was good enough for me.

5:15 p.m. Home now. My dishes are done and I'm taking a break before I start back on creating Soc's test.

I am getting sick of rice and peppers. Ugh.

-T

No comments: