Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sitting in a pool of gasoline...

... and that was only the beginning of my day.

In response to a trouble call from my grandfather, I ended up running out to give his van a jump. He couldn't get it started even with a jump so he had to call a tow-truck. He said that he didn't need my help beyond that so I came back home.

At this point, I hadn't even grabbed a shower yet. Before I could get one toe wet, my grandfather called again and asked for an extra pair of hands. I should know better, but he's my last grandparent so I threw my clothes back on and headed back over.

Within ten minutes, we discovered that his fuel line had a crack in it and I was sitting in a pool of gasoline while it drained into buckets. This then progressed into cutting the rusted section out of the gas line and replacing it with high-pressure hose.

I've found out
a) My Gerber pocket knife can cut through high-pressure hose like it's butter.
b) Gasoline is not shampoo.
c) Even with an electrician, an auto mechanic, a carpenter and a few plumbers in the family I am -STILL- no where near mechanically inclined.


So I'm going to jump in the shower - there's been no follow-up calls for 10 minutes. I think it's safe.

Later.

-Tom

No comments: