Thursday, May 22, 2008

OMG! WTF? GAS $$$ UGH.

Ok,

So I have been talking about getting a bike to ride around town this summer (and beyond) because of the rising gas prices. A few days ago I had to put some gas in my car to keep it running and it cost me $16.00 for a QUARTER tank; roughly 4 gallons. I have a small, four-cylinder car so it normally doesn't take that much to fill it up. I haven't FILLED my gas tank in months.

I have gotten into the habit of walking down to the store for groceries or odds and ends rather than jumping in the car to conserve on gas. Today, as a matter of example, I went down to the store to get a few things on foot. Josh and I then went down to campus in the car because he had to pick up a few boxes of stuff from this past quarter that would have just been too hard to carry. When we got back we walked across town to the movies; again, to conserve gas - and to preemptively burn off the calories of dinner.

On the way back from the movies we got picked up by my pal Jim to go out to the lake with his dog, Jake. It was a great time to go hang out and stuff but here's where things get interesting.

Once we were back into town, the price of gas had shot up to $4.20 a gallon for the cheap gas. When we drove down to campus around 1 p.m. it was still $3.99. I was hoping that it would stay just under four dollars for Memorial Day. I guess I was completely wrong. The oil companies knew that Memorial day would be a big travel weekend, even if it's just out to some local park for a BBQ, and are grabbing up as much money as they can.

Something also to consider, the Economic Stimulus checks that everyone is getting to help boost the economy is probably going to go directly into everyone's gas tank.

Ugh.

-T

1 comment:

Emeleth said...

Oh there you've hit on it! The economic stimuls money was really plotted to fatten up the oil companies right from the beginning. I mean, look who actually agreed to it, the God of War and Petroluem himself. *smirk* Hey, this conspiracy theory stuff is fun. ;) OMGs I bet aliens are involved somehow. *snicker*

Remember when we thought two dollars a gallon was the end of the freakin' world? So young and naive we were. *sigh*