Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A Walk in the Rain

Around 2:30 p.m.

I was not exactly jumping out of bed this morning but I knew that I had to get some work done on my lectures. Rather than trying to fight all the distractions in my home office or the office on campus, I decided to go for a walk over to my favorite watering hole, Hatti Beasly's.

When I crested the hill on 17th street I saw that the gray clouds of a storm were on the march. The air was cool and the weather was perfect for a mile hike. With my IPOD for accompaniment, I didn't notice the many people who were out on their front stoops enjoying the fresh breeze. It wasn't until I got to the shoppe, right around noon, did the storm make the decision to send only wind at us. I was so disappointed.

After grabbing an Iced Cappuccino, I grabbed my favorite perch out in front of the shop and dug into the new Sociology text. I have been reading the text for the past few days to get a sense of what had changed from one edition to the next. The good news is that there weren't that many changes. This left me with the task of thinking about how to run the grades for the class; how many assignments I would have, etc.

Unfortunately, Hatti's closes at 2 p.m. for the afternoon after their lunch rush and doesn't re-open until 6 at night for their coffee and gelatto rush. I did find out that the name, Hatti Beasley, came from the deed of the nearby property that the owner also owns. The owner had always wanted to develop a coffee house and the name stuck with him as great thing for marketing.

Around 2 p.m., I decided to head back since the gray clouds were on the march once more and this time they carried with them the promise of rain. Before I was even half-way home, the cloud artillery opened up and began to pour. Thankfully my bag comes equipped with a mini-brella to protect its contents from moisture.

Now that I'm home and mostly a drip from the hike, it's stopped and the sun has come out to drive back the clouds and guys like me.

Later.
-T

No comments: