Saturday, August 25, 2007

Feliz Cumpleanos a mi

How to spend my birthday?

Well, there was only one choice: Campus.

Today is the move-in day for the freshman at Shawnee State. Parents and students were swarming over the dorms and the University center to get checked in for housing and to get their student ID's.

I didn't want to just sit at home and read because I'd end up getting too comfortable and be tempted for a nap or something. After checking in with my buddy, Jim, (who had gotten me some coffee for my birthday) I wandered over to my new perch on the campus. There's a great tree there that provides plenty of shade and with the nearby wall of the 'porch', it's a perfect place to read through my lectures and update them where I need to.

Even though I have my office, it's not where I wanted to be today. Even though it's dark, cool and quiet, I wanted to get outside for a while. The only means that I could do that was to find some shade.

As you can see from the pictures, I was ready to just hang out for quite a while.

A few friends have called to wish me happy birthday; which is very cool. My father actually called while I was chilling in Jim's office and asked if I felt older. Oddly enough, he even sounded sober.

I do feel somewhat older. I'm now on my way towards 40. If 30 was the new 20, then 30-34 was still in the 'younger' years of my life. Now that I'm 35 - I feel older. A friend of mine even said that I am now half of 70. Such an odd concept; half of 70 year old. My grandfathers have lived to their mid-seventies or mid-eighties. My mother's father is still living and still working at 85. So I have lived long enough to have had started a family, had a kid, all of those normal things.

Thankfully, I'm not normal.

It's still light outside so I'm not sure what I'm going to get into for the rest of the day but I wanted to grab a video of the view I had on campus. Not a bad place to spend a birthday.


1 comment:

Emeleth said...

Here's to not being Normal!