Monday, January 8, 2007

Professor Riley

Morning Workout: 30 Minutes, Morning Lecture: Completed if a bit of a struggle, People flirting with me: 2 (Hey, it’s a start),

12:18 p.m. Lunch-time. I should pick up some crackers or granola bars or something for me to munch on while I’m in the library; maybe some raisins. My workout this morning was pressed again. I kept looking at my watch when I got on the Mill; I was too worried that I was not going to be able to have enough time to review my notes before class so I headed back to the showers at 9 a.m. I should have kept going until at least 9:15 at least. That would still give me plenty of time for a workout and time to review my notes.

I didn’t get out of the house until around 8:30 this morning; though I was up a little before 8. I figure that 8:30 is probably going to be my normal time to start working out. I know that I can’t work my legs too much in the morning because I’ll be jello standing in front of my students if I push them too hard. I may switch out my routine to do the machines on the days that I don’t have class and then work on my upper body on Monday and Wednesday. That way all I’ll have to worry about is not being able to lift my arms rather than not being able to stand.

I met Mike Eldridge again in the hallway. He was leaving class while I was waiting for my room to open up. He asked what I was up to and I told him that I was teaching here and that I was, at the time, trying to get my calf muscles to relax after that morning’s workout. He smiled and said that he needed to work out and start dropping the weight he had put on after high school. I was going to invite him along to work out, but we were interrupted by someone calling me “Professor Riley”.

God, that felt good.

He won’t be in any of my classes, according to him, though he might try and take Anthropology sometime. It would be interesting to get to know him again – now that we’re different people and out of High School. Eh, who knows what could happen. Becoming friends when once I almost considered him an enemy – one of the nameless masses that didn’t actively persecute me, but also didn’t attempt to get to know me either.

I am seriously considering getting a new laptop. Nothing expensive, mind you, just something small that I can haul with me back and forth to campus for work. I’ve found a few on Dell’s website that are around $700.00 – probably notebooks built for a Christmas special and they’re trying to get rid of them now. I’ve yet to get paid from SSU but I did find out that I don’t get paid for holidays. I’m not sure how that works since I have a contract for a set amount of money. I may swing by Payroll before class to ask them when the first paycheck will be deposited.

Josh had mentioned that I could probably get a micro-loan from his bank to cover the expense of the laptop since I’m hired by the University. My credit is bad after being out of work for so long so I’m not sure if his bank or anyone would be willing to give me a loan for two dollars let alone $800.00. I’ll probably ask National City as well to see what they say so I can get an idea of my chances. If my credit is so bad that I can’t get a loan, I’d rather not have other people know that.

I asked mom about the idea and she thought that it was a good idea and that if it worked and we got it paid off quickly enough that we might be able to get another for her since the laptop I’m on now is falling apart and so old that it’s not really good for anything much more than text-entry and even that is iffy since the ‘a’ key is not wanting to work for me. I have to use some considerable force with my pinky to make sure it’s there.

Josh wanted me to get the laptop, or had urged me to get one, probably so I could play Warcraft with him if I went up to visit. I’m all for enjoying a video game but, ugh. There are limits.

I don’t know how much longer we’ll be hanging out since our differences are becoming more and more prevalent. Now that I’m working at SSU, he said that I’m getting too serious. This coming from a guy who has already admitted to being ‘just a kid’ – still at 23 years old. I swear he reminds me of Robbie sometimes.

But, there might be something new in the works.


No comments: