Monday, January 1, 2007

A Happy New Years and stuff

New Year's Resolution:
Work out 5x a week, get a job in my field, get paid to talk about something I like.
Oh wait... already doing that. Must come up with something new.

So there I was - most of the weekend - sitting in front of the computer or on a laptop borrowed from my mother and reviewing the lecture notes I'll be using this Wednesday. After reading through the professor's manual and the actual course text, I brewed up a first draft of what I'll be talking about. It's a two-hour class but for the first day I'm going to keep things short.

Ok, so my mind was a little blank when I first started to think about how to break down Sociology for an intro class. It's been almost eight years since I taught it and I haven't thought only on that level for a while.

The first real draft of the material was more of a student's perspective on things rather than a professor's so I thought that I would read over it and make some notes. Easy, right?
I put down the notes after a quick read-through and thought that I'd read it again on Tuesday before my first day of classes. Then, late last night, I picked it up once more and grabbed a red pen. Oh gods...
As you can tell, my mind was out for blood. I scribbled questions and ideas all over the page and realized that I should make the corrections into something more coherent.

And again, I read through it once and put it back in my notebook thinking that I was done. This morning, however, I looked over it (I can't put the stuff down) and I came up with another idea for how to format my notes.
So I thought to split the page down the middle so I could draw in some graphics and such on the side to help me keep the lecture flowing.

I swear, I'm putting it back in the notebook. I'm going to leave it there. Honest.

No comments: