Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Notebook, Journal, Diary, Addiction, Reflection

Diet Pepsis - 0 (Yea!), Situps - 80 (ok, so it was half in the morning and half in the evening), Pushups - 30 (Yeah, I know, I suck).

I found an old pic of Notebook 3 and decided to post it here. I started to number the "field books" recently when I started the fourth book. I know which order the books were used and anyone who read through them could quickly tell by the dates on the entries, but I wanted to identify them a bit more clearly on the cover.



I've kept a regular "journal" since I started college back in 1990. Prior to that I tried to several times, but never anything consistent. The journals fizzled out when I was in grad school because I thought I was too busy. After a while the journal became transformed into more of a notebook of ideas rather than a record of my thoughts. Once I started to make books in ernest, the idea notebooks were more than just a spiral-bound book in a leather book-jacket; god I love that thing - it's on my desk still. I made books for other people to test theories and techniques and finally kept one for myself.

Though I keep a blog to let my friends know what's going on in my life, my journal is more of the day-to-day record of things. Like Da Vinci who sketched ideas on anatomy and physics side-by-side with grocery lists, my pages encompass an ongoing "Journal of a Pilgrim" as well as thoughts on meta-physics, philosophy, theology, and other oddities.

Those who read this blog (or the new location) would say, "Sure, ok, and?"

People who keep notebooks, diaries or journals of various sort are usually a fairly particular breed of person. When people see me carrying around my notebook where I go and give me a strange look I know that they would probably not fully fathom why I carry it. Those who "carry" know their own. I've only met a few people who, when they see my notebook, instantly gravitate towards me since they carry one of their own.

A few of my really good friends have been those who understand my 'notebook obsession' because they have it as well. I remember a moment with a good friend where we were making a book-jacket for our notebooks. There we were, two grown adults, sitting around my dining room table with scissors and brown-bag paper and cutting the jackets out. They were made to look like the Grail Diary from Professor Henry Jones Sr., but wrapped as a parcel. Nothing was really said to commorate the moment, but at sometime through it I looked up and realized the level of geekness and just smiled.

It was a good moment.

I love those kinds of moments and have begun taking steps in life to ensure that more will happen in the future than has happened in the past.

No comments: