Sunday, October 28, 2007

Pumpkin Butchering

The poor thing didn't know what hit it. I snuck up on it with drunken, cat-like grace and stabbed deep into it's top. Oh, the screaming that could be heard (if you imagined that I could sneak up on a pumpkin, then you can definately imagine it screaming). I left the blade in the wound for a moment to snap this picture and then begun to scalp off its' top-knot.


The Huron were known for their ability to remove a man's scap before he fell dead to the ground. I wonder if the pumpkin knew what had hit it when I pulled off the 'lid' and gazed down into the bowls of its guts.

Once I had pulled out all of the insides and set the seeds aside to dry slowly in an oven (yes, I'm just that sadistic), I began to wedge the corpus. This is what came from a medium-sized pumpkin. I'll have plenty left over once I dice the body up into bite-sized bits.

Overall, the pumpkin yielded about two-quarts of inch-thick chunks of punkin. I've bagged 3/4ths of them and used the remains to brew up some pumpkin soup.

The soup wasn't bad (thank god for the roasted red pepper to give it something other than a bland flavor), but I would consider it a base; something to add veggies to it to make a stew.

3 comments:

Emeleth said...

Okay...Where the heck's the punkin?

Emeleth said...

Oh there is is finally. THe first time there was only a blank space. You're a very sadistic pumpkin carver. Brilliant!

Bryian said...

Um, Tom, just an aside bud.
That type of pumpkin is not the best for eating. It is grown more for decorations. That is why it tastes so bad.
Check with Barb about the best varieties for soup, ect.