Monday, October 1, 2007

The Cigarette Diaries


From MSNBC:

"This book contains notes of a nature meaningless, I believe, to anyone else but myself. You are perfectly welcome to read them; however, don’t say I didn’t warn you."

Cigarette Diaries
On Sept. 13, 1944, the B-24 with bombardier Second Lt. Frank J. Pratt was shot down by the Germans over Poland. These are excerpts from the diaries he kept in captivity—many of which were written on the backs of paper wrappers from cigarette packs.

I love hearing that another 'survivor' journal has been found and made public. Though the contents may not be displayed for all to see, the fact that someone held themselves together and made record of such a traumatic moment in their lives with a journal is the closest I think I'll ever come to understanding a religious moment.

A journal is a prayer you make to yourself and to those who come after you. It says within its pages that there was hope and that history shall not be forgotten.

-Me

No comments: