Sunday, September 2, 2007

River Days 2007

It's that time again.

RIVER DAYS

Here in Portsmouth, we celebrate Labor Day by holding a celebration known as River Days. The downtown area is turned into a small fair with a band-stand and fireworks. This year they actually pulled in some of the standard fair fodder with some huge snake and a giant rat.

I went down to it on Saturday for a quick walk through (it was just too bright) and grabbed some pictures with my new camera; HP M537. Happy Birthday to me.

The conclusion of the River Days weekend is the big firework show. Well, it's not exactly a HUGE fireworks show because that's normally for the 4th of July, but it wasn't bad. So a few thousand people cluster on the river bank and crash out while they suck down lemon shake-ups, corn dogs, funnel cakes and all the unhealthy fair fodder you can think of. The police did their rounds and picked up a few rowdy, drunken idiots but I didn't see anything odd except for the plethora of blinky-light toys (as opposed to glowing toys) on every kid as far as I could see.

I got to play with the twilight setting on the camera and grabbed some shots of the clusters of people on the banks.

The breeze was cool and the sky was clear. It was an awesome night. I'm going to have to head back down to the river tomorrow night or something and see if I can get shots of the new bridge against the water with the new cam; it should be able to handle night-shots a lot better.

Here's the video of the fireworks.

I tried to get some footage of the finale' but I couldn't get my camera out of my thigh pocket fast enough; not with a half-numb ass.

-T


No comments: