Monday, January 7, 2008

Ankle

Stupid Balance Tricks: 1,
# of steps from Cinema to my house (with a sprained ankle): 10,302 (thank gods for a pedometer).

So Sunday night I was down by the Cinema in Portsmouth and walking around on the train tracks. The tracks haven’t been used in forever and I had hoped to find a shot (to amuse my photography urge) while waiting on a movie.

I balanced on the track and I nimbly plucked my way down the rail for a while and basically demonstrating how well-balanced my steps were. Things were fine until I stopped. As soon as I stepped off the rail, I hit a loose rock and with a twist and a flick, my ankle decided to collapse.

Oh yes, I heard the sounds of wet celery being crushed and I figured that I had messed it up. After a few steps, however, the pain was gone and I could walk on it without a serious limp. I went to the movies and kept flexing my ankle so it wouldn’t swell too badly. Well, once we were out of the movie (I am Legend, btw) the walk home reminded me how messed up my ankles can get. The first thousand or so steps were damn painful. My ankle didn’t want to flex at all so I hobbled my way home.

By Monday morning, my ankle had swelled a little but not by too much. Walking around on it, however, was still a bit painful. This cut into my plan to head back to the gym a week before classes started. It’s near impossible to walk without a limp –and- try and get on a treadmill or bike. So I puttered around the house.

Yeah, I love to putter.

I have one week left of my break and I’m trying to do a few dozen projects at once; all of the things that I had promised myself that I would do ‘once on break’. Tons of stuff to write and make and now I’m working on my lectures. Bleh.

One of the projects that I’m working on is making some basil bread from scratch. Last night I started some dough and put to rise in the fridge over night. The cookbook that Barb gave me for Winterfest said to let the dough warm up for about two hours before working it. It’ll give me time to wake up some and post this blog.

Later.

-T.

3 comments:

Emeleth said...

Sorry 'bout the ankle. You didn't tell me you walked home on it!

BTW, bread doesn't actually rise so well in the fridge...sorta needs heat for that. But there was probably something in that new cookbook about that, which I'm guessing is why you did it that way. :)

Barbara Fisher said...

Bread does rise in the fridge, actually. It just does it slowly. And there are many reasons to do a slow rise on bread--for one thing, if you proof your bread over a long period of time at a lower temperature, it develops more flavor, which leads to a tastier end product.

Most artisanal and classical French and Italian loaves are proofed for a longer period of time at a lower temperature than most American bread recipes.

Which is part of why their bread tastes better.

Crazyquilt said...

"BTW, bread doesn't actually rise so well in the fridge...sorta needs heat for that."

*falls over laughing*

It's not about how fast it rises, it's about how good it is when it gets there.