Saturday, March 31, 2007

Roofing in the rain

Time: 12:30 p.m.
Mood: Wet-Cat

Ok,

So I knew that my grandfather was going to bring some materials for the car port this morning, but around 5 a.m. it began to rain and never stopped. When he called this morning to tell me that he was going to go get the particle board, I informed him that it WAS raining. He said that we needed to get some panels up in between the bursts of rain.

Well, there weren't so much as bursts and lulls as more of a continuous wave of rain that kept everything slick and muddy.

More than once did I ask him "WHY, exactly, are we putting a roof up in the RAIN?"

He responded simply, "You start work on Monday, don't you?"

When I informed him that with the tarp up, the function of the roof was met at least temporarily - he informed me that there was no reason to "waste time" with a tarp.

So, while he stood under the finished sections of the roof and mumbled instructions at me, I crawled up on the roof and hammered nails.

Problem: The roof is swaying slightly (ever-so slightly) because the posts haven't had time to settle without being rained on.

So I jumped down from the first panel and threw up some braces to counter the torque.

Yes, HGTV is a handy thing.

Just when I thought I knew what we were doing, he would have me nail up boards in weird places for supports. Well, I assume that they were supports, because I didn't exactly figure out what he was talking about. And when I asked for clarification - he mumbled some details but it really didn't make sense so I just followed what he was pointing at and went back to nailing down the particle boards.

When it began to really pour, I told him that even though he was standing / sitting under the roof - I was on top of it and I was tired of having wet underwear.

So he decided that it was time to quit and would head home until the rain stopped.

It's supposed to rain continuously from today until tomorrow. I start classes on Monday, so things will either have to wait until the next weekend or may be Monday or Wednesday afternoon once I get back from classes around 2 p.m.

Ugh.

Ok, I'm out of the shower and the rain is coming down harder and harder outside.

I need some soup.

Later.

-Tom

4 comments:

Emeleth said...

Chai! Pleanty of chai. You went all winter without getting sick (cause I had your usual bronchitis instead). "Wet cat" is a terrible mood to be in...

Anonymous said...

Hey, at least y'all are getting rain. Lexington is dry as a bone. :/

Emeleth said...

Not sure about this new blog layout, dude. Sort of...baren and desolate. Unless that's what you were going for. ;) I'd enlarge your pilgrim icon though, it's kinda small-ish to try to read.

Emeleth said...

Okay, this is better. ;P