Wednesday, October 15, 2008

New Schedule for Spring

Well, it seems as though my schedule for this spring is going to be one of the more "creative" ones that I've had in near two and a half years of teaching at Shawnee.

The sections that were made available for the part-time faculty were all over the place. Some in the day and some at night as though they were made without really thinking about the students.

My Criminology course is two days a week next term rather than one night like it is now. The once-a-week classes are really rough on the students and myself. You're trying to cover a whole chapter of material in one night. However, as most of the students are already suffering from symptoms closely approximating ADD, they just can't focus their thoughts for three hours. Normally I give them a break about every 45 minutes or so - enough time for people to go down and grab something to drink or burn a bit of tobacco or cloves. It's long enough that they can relax their mind - relax their attention, for long enough so that when we get back into the lecture they have a bit more mental stamina.

My Sociology course is going to be three days a week - meaning that I'll have to be on campus on both Monday... AND... Friday. Ugh. I rather enjoyed having a four day weekend. Oh well.

It will be interesting at least.

-Tom

1 comment:

Emeleth said...

Cool that you finally got your schedule worked out, even if it is weird. I'll have a 4 day week next semseter, complete with Fridays off. :D The Universe balances itself yet again. ;) Oh, and remind me to tell you what H. said about the Archeology class...