Saturday, March 8, 2008

So about that Ritalin

Last night, around midnight, I was surprised by a big flash of lightning. The rain began to pour and assumed that we would have to miss out on the snow that everyone else was getting. Then, as I was getting ready for bed, I realized that the rain sounded different; almost metallic.

I poked my head out of the front door and realized that it was the ting-ting of freezing rain that I was hearing. So I crawled into bed with the idea that we would probably have some icy patches but that was about it.

And then, when I woke up, my roommate said four words:

"You got your wish."

I ran to the front of the house and tore open the door like a 'Night Before Christmas'. The street was coated with snow; choked with the White-Death. I realized, while I was in bed waking up this morning, that the lack of sound that seemed a bit eerie; no cars, no rain, nothing.

So after I got myself together, I threw on a coat and grabbed my shovel and did that very domestic chore of clearing the driveway. Within a stroke or two of the blade, I realized that I was standing on about an inch of compacted slush as well as a few inches of snow. Oh, this was going to be a Good Snow. By the time I got out to the front steps, I ended up having to scrap the ice away rather than shovel it.

I'm sure my neighbors were pleased hearing the sound of plastic against concrete at 10 a.m. on a snowy Saturday.

Who knows how long it will last.

-Tom

2 comments:

Emeleth said...

Just how many times did you shovel your driveway today? Admit it, you LIKE shoveling. ;p

Barbara Fisher said...

It is beautiful, but treacherous here.

I wish we were a bit farther north so we could have gotten the fourteen inches of snow that they got up there, but here there are several inches of snow and lots of slush and ice.

And even though we are on a level 2 snow emergency, folks came out to eat both last night and tonight.

People are odd.