Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Back in the saddle...

Today was my first day back after our spring break...

Or as I would like to call it, "The mostly rainy, somewhat cold, but thankfully no snow" Break.

Psychology, in the morning, was fairly slow; they weren't very eager to get back into the saddle for the second half of the semester. Sociology, in the afternoon, was lively as always - quick to crack a joke and enjoy the stories passed around of someone's spring break. Criminology, late-afternoon, was a test so it was a fairly quick class.

One of my worst students is in Criminology. I say that he's one of my worst students because he 1) Doesn't come to class. 2) doesn't take notes. 3) Doesn't participate. 4) Doesn't do the reading. 5) Hasn't scored above a 40% on either of the first two exams and 6) Wrote a paper on solar eclipses that was devoid of punctuation or any sense of grammatical logic - and the topic was on Lunar influences on crime.

He is, honestly, someone that I feel should not be in school. His answer to any question probing him about why he is at Shawnee?

"I ain't got nuttin else better to do."

It's quite aggrivating.

Tomorrow is already forming into a "laundry and papers" day. I grab someplace quiet while I'm doing laundry and start to read all of the essays that I'm grading by hand. I usually try and find someplace quiet so I will not be tempted to start spewing obscenities about how my students can't write or can't hold a logical thought on paper for more than a sentence.

Ugh.

It's times like these - when I am facing the students who seriously just don't want to be in School, but also don't want to have to find a 'real' job - that I think it would be better to go off and do something else.

Like go be a cowboy...

... with a notebook.

-Me

2 comments:

Emeleth said...

*raises hand* I'll take his tuition money! Seriously, lame-o people like that who get to attend college when there are other people out there (like me) who desperately want an education but can't afford it...They upset the basic order of the Universe.

Cowboy with a notebook....yeah, that'd be sexy. *lmao* Remember when you and I kept tossing around the idea of taking off and being motorcycles gypsies, touring the country and writing the great American novel? Now that's a good time. *impish grin*

Barbara Fisher said...

Except that Tom would be more likely to go off and be a cowboy/motorcycle gypsy with a man than a woman.

Or have you not received that memo yet?

Or can you not read it?

Or do you refuse to believe it?