Friday, March 27, 2009

A Tree Grows in Ohio

Today was one of the first not-rainy days of this spring break and after three years of planning, I finally got a tree planted in my front yard.

In years previous, there was always some combination of forces (lack of money, weather, time) that conspired against me planting a tree in my front yard that would hopefully provide some kind of shade in years to come.

I would have liked to have put an oak tree out there but they were hard to come by (in a large enough form that would make it easy to transplant) so I settled on a Silver Maple.

So out into the weather and just before a large mass of "green" (rain) came my way, Josh and I pulled out the post-holler and shovel and got to work. It didn't take a lot of work since the ground was already semi-muddy from the previous two days of rain. I hadn't handled a shovel in a while since I'm just now recovering from winter and the ensuing plagues so it wore me out a bit but it felt good.

This spring break was fairly uneventful - nothing really was accomplished except for the tree - but very restful; and that was needed even more so. With only five or six weeks left in the term, it's going to be a mad dash through April and into May to finish out the school year.

And then who knows what I'll get into.

-T

1 comment:

Tim said...

Might I recommend at some point propagating some honeysuckle as well, definitely makes for a wonderful smell in the summer evenings.

I might be biased of course, because my parent's house had honeysuckle in the back, and I've got it here in the front.