Thursday, March 12, 2009

Home Remedies



I'm sick again.

Sometime on Monday night I started to feel a bit below the weather and by Tuesday morning I was sporting a massive cold.

So I canceled classes on Tuesday and slept. Then Wednesday I woke up hoping that it was just a twenty-four hour bug.

Nope.

So then I canceled my class on Wednesday and continued the sleeping process.

So this morning I was hoping to grab yet another shower and see if that would help solve the cold. I got down to campus after a quick stop for more tissues and meds. My criminology class is supposed to last for 1.5 hours but I was out of there in 40 minutes. I couldn't keep talking, blow my nose or sniff in any combination to keep the conversation going.

On the way home I grabbed more supplies with grim determination to finally kick this cold and be done with it.

Soup, more meds, tissues, and sanitizer.

After sucking down more tomato soup than a Twilight Fan on a weekend bender, I realized that the one thing I'm really wanting is Egg Drop soup from "Uptown Chinese" in Athens.

I'm not sure if the restaurant is still there or not, but whenever I got sick while I was going for my BA - that soup would fix me in a day.

Unfortunately the only approximation for the soup down here is not exactly the same thing. It's more like egg-glaze because it's been left to sit in a warming tray for days on end.

I'll have to see if I can find a way to make something close to egg-drop down here. It won't be the same but I'll see if I can get some hints from my friend the chef.

1 comment:

Barbara Fisher said...

Why didn't you ask me?

Take chicken broth. Homemade is best, but from the store will do.

Add two thin slices of ginger--about the size of quarters, a whole scallion, and a small whole garlic clove, and simmer the soup for about an hour, covered. Pull out the ginger, scallion and garlic and discard them.

Get some white pepper, some soy sauce and some toasted sesame oil.

Heat up your broth to a boil, and season to taste with the pepper, soy sauce and sesame oil.

Thinly slice the green tops of four scallions.

Take 2 to 5 eggs, and beat them well. Turn the heat off on the soup and let it stop simmering.

As soon as the bubbling stops, take your well beaten eggs, and pour them in a thin, steady stream, while you whisk the soup with a pair of chopsticks in a circular fashion. This breaks the eggs into tiny cloud-like shreds.

Sprinkle with the onions and it is done.