Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Day 2: The Ice Commeth


Well, we're closed for another day down here at Shawnee State, and it's all because of the wonderful freezing rain that's been falling since about 5 p.m. yesterday evening.

When I woke up this morning I immediately grabbed my camera and ventured outside to see what I could capture for my blog.

The power and cable lines are drooping because of the added weight of about a quarter-inch of ice encasing them. I've already heard that several homes out in the county are without power because of trees that have become too heavy with the ice and fallen through the lines. My uncle David, my mother's brother, has already lost power this morning because he lives -way- out in the county with lots of ice-coated trees between him and any main road.

I tried to focus in on a seed pod on a bush in the back yard to show just how thickly encased things were in the grip of the freezing rain. I think the plant is milk-weed but I couldn't swear to it. It looked so interesting with ice caught within the remains of the pod as well as coating all of the branches and vines that I had to try and snap a picture of it.

What really surprised me was some old scrub plants on the hill behind the house. Each branch and twig is coated with the ice and together they create quite a cool effect.Sometimes it's hard to see where the branch ends and the ice ends - as though the whole structure were somehow converted to a crystalline-based plant.

1 comment:

Barbara Fisher said...

I love the way that ice looks on the trees, the shrubs, and the weeds, but I am always paranoid about ice storms. I think it was because of the evil ice storm we lived through in Pataskala a few years back, where we had no power, but luckily, we had firewood. But no water, because our well had an electric pump, and THAT really sucked! It was like camping inside the house!

And the trees are so treacherous with the ice--their branches can break at any moment, like when you are standing under them....ick.

But it sure is beautiful!