Monday, April 7, 2008

Waterfall - 1934


lake-11
Originally uploaded by Green Pilgrim
In 1934 several things were happening around the world.

May 23, Police kill Bonnie and Clyde
May 11, Massive Dust Storms sweep across the Great Plains
Oct 16, Chinese Communists break through the Nationalist enemy lines
Aug 11, Alcatraz Island is opened as a Federal Prison.

And...

Some guy carved the date and stuck the rock near this waterfall in Scioto County, Ohio.

While out with some friends at the lake yesterday, I came across this waterfall. The fall is actually there to drain water from the hill above the lake and under the roadway. However, the drain is reinforced with what appears to be a stacked-stone wall. (I don't have a larger shot of the whole wall, but the stones here are tiny compared to the larger stones that stretch out down the hill.)

I took a moment to see if I could capture the water as it fell from the rocks and down to the splash-point. I'm still learning how to use my camera to capture "action" shots such as moving water. It wasn't until I got home and was sorting through the pictures that I saw that someone had carved the date 1934 on one of the rocks (I was at a considerable distance when I took the picture) near the fall.

I wonder if the waterfall was built in 34 or if someone just decided to commemorate the year for some other reason. Who knows.

It was still a nice day to go out to the lake.

-Tom

No comments: