Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A strange thing on the way to the campus

Today was one of those days that everything was just... odd.

Josh and I walked down to campus today so I could check on a student's grade. The student claimed that she didn't receive a final grade in one of my classes and I knew that she was there and I remembered grading her paper. So all I could assume was that there was a typo somewhere in the steps to post her grade.

Out of 184 students it's bound to happen and it's easily fixed.

So while on Offnere, a main north-south artery in Portsmouth, we were walking by a building that we have passed several times when I happened to read the billboard outside. Much to my shock, Josh claims that the sign had this message on it for some time now and that I've just missed it. Truth be told, I can't remember ever actually looking at the sign before today more than a casual glance and I am fairly confident that I would have picked up on the word 'Murder' sometime before now.

Today, for some reason, it finally registered and I was a bit surprised to say the least. Not only has some woman lost her husband but she's also offering a reward to the capture of whoever killed him. This is not something that I would find uncommon - but the fact that she's advertising that she's investigating her husband's murder, may suggest that she's either unsatisfied with the work of the local police department or feels that she can find more information than they can detect by throwing out the promise of some reward. There's also the more curious alternative that she is advertising her own interest in her husband's murder to possibly remove the air of guilt or complicity from around her shoulders. I would love to hear about something so dramatic as that, but I doubt anyone in this town could try and throw up any kind of plausible deniability such as this.

I have no idea who the man was who was murdered, how he died or even what the case file might reveal as to a possible motive, but I'm curious.

Strange. Very strange.

Projects:

Chalkboard: 95% (just need to attach the supports and mount it to the wall.

Wallpaper: 50% (no movement)

Driveway: 6% (Thought about it again today)

No comments: