Monday, July 28, 2008

What goes thump?

There are many things that make noise,
crickets, cats, and cicada and boys
but few of them make a thump in the night.

Now even if you allow
for the occasional growl
there are few things that go thump.

But that is exactly what awoke me at four in the morn,
a thump that sounded as loud as a horn.

The thump was that of a tree as it fell,
more accurately as it's crashing death's knell.

With a strong summer blow,
the trees twisted to and fro
and one did go thump in the night.

As I launched from the door
to see ever so more,
I spied what had given me such a fright.

'twas a branch and a limb and two trunks did fall,
for when one tree fell
it took them all.

Now I know the answer
of what goes thump in the night.
It's the sound of a tree
attempting to flee
and forgetting that trees can't take flight.

(This post brought to you because I can't get that damn 'Hippy Grandma' out of my head)

-Tom

2 comments:

Barbara Fisher said...

Every time I see Marsha at Casa, I giggle, because I can here the text to My Hippy Grandmother in my head.

Emeleth said...

Well, that would explain the grumpiness on the phone this morning. It doesn't look in the photo like it broke anything. Um...At least it's free firewood for this winter.

What's this Hippy Grandma thing? Am I going to regret I ever asked.